Featured Webinar: Fastest Way To Get A Job

Featured Webinar: Fastest Way To Get A Job
Fastest Way To Get A Job Webinar

Friday, December 11, 2009

10 Interview Tips for a Recruiter

When looking for tips and tools to utilise in order to facilitate an effective job interview, recruiters and employers may be stuck for guidance. There is a wealth of information assisting Job Seekers through the Job Interview process but not as much content aiding Recruiters with this function. Many don't realise that a Job interview can place as much anxiety on the interviewer as that which is experienced by the Job seekers. This job interview anxiety may differ from its origin; however interviewers need just as much help in facilitating an effective Job interview in their attempts to placing the ideal candidate in their vacancy.

Job Seekers are fortunate in the sense that they may have had ample opportunity to practice and learn from past job interview mistakes. However, employers or HR interviewers may not have conducted a job interview in some time and may be somewhat out of touch with effective interviewing techniques.

To follow, Recruiters and employers and ultimately whoever may be responsible for conducting job interviews within an organisation can find Top Ten Tips to ensure that job interviews are performed in the most operative manner and deliver accurate results.

Tip 1: Don't Rely on First Impressions

Upon meeting a person for the first time, it is said that human beings develop a lasting impression of that person within the first 30 second of being introduced. True to the saying 'first impressions last', so we should apply the idiom, 'never judge a book by its cover'. Impressions do last, however they can more than often be incorrect. Individuals have depth and personality that takes many a meeting for a job interviewer to identify and understand. While your first impression of a Job Seeker may not be positive, remember that under stress and anxiety that a job interview can cause, people often tend to hide behind a facade of what they believe the interviewer wants to see. Job Interviews instil apprehension that can very often blur a person's true personality and the interviewer should empathise with this. This tip reminds Recruiters to note that it may take a few more meetings with the Job Seeker to get a true reflection of who they are in order to make an accurate impression of them.

Tip 2: Learn to Listen

There is a rule that can be applied when interviewing candidates that will ensure that the interviewer is not talking more than what is required. This rule is the 20/80 rule which states that the interviewer should converse (in the form of questions) for 20 % of the interview and the remaining 80% of conversation time should be reserved for the Job Seekers responses. It is very easy to forget that a job interview is not an opportunity to play 'getting to know you - getting to know me'. Yes the interview serves the purpose of finding a greater understanding of who the Job Seeker is, but only in the context of the vacancy they have applied to. There is no need for Recruiters to swop stories and share commonalities with the Job Seeker. The interview is a meeting reserved for information gathering on the interviewers part which cannot be done if the Job Seeker does not have adequate time to relay relevancies pertaining to the job function and the role which they have applied to.

Tip 3: Review the Job Advert in Preparation of the Interview

One of the most helpful tips when preparing to facilitate an effective job interview is to review the initial job advert ahead of the interview. In doing so, interviewer familiarises themselves with the detail that initially attracted the Job Seeker to the role, as well as the areas which the interviewer should concentrate on. By practicing this tip, job interviewers are able to prepare questions that cover the basics details mapped out in the job advert including required experience, skills, qualifications and education requirements. After reviewing the job advert, the interviewer will easily assess the relevancy of the Job Seekers application and if they are the ideal candidate to fill the role.

Related Tools:
1)How to Answer Any Question An Interviewer Could Possibly Throw At You! (TP)
2)Start learning how to Ace your next Job Interview (TP)

Click here to read part 2 of this article

No comments:

Post a Comment

Was this article useful? If so, subscribe to our newsletter to read more!