- Abbreviating when you write. Ex. “TTYL” Talk to you later.
- Spelling errors on your social media , resume and emails.
- Listing your other interests and hobbies that are fun, but not necessarily good employee traits. Like partying instead of scuba diving.
- During interviews avoiding eye contact, bad breath and confrontational body language.
- 73% of Employers checked social media before hiring. Yes if you post it then assume it part of “your permanent record”.
- Dressing too Casual.
FREE ONLINE WORKSHOP SCHEDULE
*September 1: “5 Tips to Battle Ageism” Register Here
*September 2: “Perfect Interview Answers” Register Here
Monday, November 3, 2014
Free Online Workshop "How to Get a Job in 6 Weeks - Guaranteed" Register Here
Recruitment Revolution recently polled 1700 companies where “employers reveal most off-putting traits displayed by job applicants.” There are a couple of very revealing conclusions. First you better be thinking about how you present yourself to the outside world before you NEED to find a new job.
What you write and say on social media sites WILL likely be viewed by a prospective recruiter or employer. So those innocent posts with photos on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn can turn into a magnifying lens in which a recruiter can be Judge and Jury without you ever getting cross examined.
All of these self destructive behaviors can be modified with very little effort. Why not give yourself an edge in the race to a new career or job. What other traits have you seen that are self destructive?
Posted by Bob Edelman at 12:30 AM