Free Online Workshop "How to Get a Job in 6 Weeks - Guaranteed" Register Here
Recruitment Revolution recently polled 1700 companies where “employers reveal most off-putting traits displayed by job applicants.” There are a couple of very revealing conclusions. First you better be thinking about how you present yourself to the outside world before you NEED to find a new job.
What you write and say on social media sites WILL likely be viewed by a prospective recruiter or employer. So those innocent posts with photos on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn can turn into a magnifying lens in which a recruiter can be Judge and Jury without you ever getting cross examined.
- Abbreviating when you write. Ex. “TTYL” Talk to you later.
- Spelling errors on your social media, resume and emails.
- Listing your other interests and hobbies that are fun, but not necessarily good employee traits. Like partying instead of scuba diving.
- During interviews avoiding eye contact, bad breath and confrontational body language.
- 73% of Employers checked social media before hiring. Yes if you post it then assume it part of “your permanent record”.
- Dressing too Casual.
All of these self destructive behaviors can be modified with very little effort. Why not give yourself an edge in the race to a new career or job. What other traits have you seen that are self destructive?