A government for the people (translation: most of the people) in its current state seems to be on life support. Its cast of traditional political parties wrapped in with a few fringe movements are disconnected from the masses. Corporate wealth continues to trump the interests of the 99%.
Whether you are conservative , liberal , independent or just confused let me restate that our government has lost a sense of being in a partnership with "the people". Whether you are or were a supporter of Obama, Harry Reid, Mitch McConnell or Eric Cantor, it is time to wake up from the dream or or perhaps a nightmare.
When a government based on democratic principles fails to properly serve the people it can result in few predicable outcomes.
- The people capitulate and remain vocal but ineffective. This is our current system.
- The people take over the conversation and initiate dialog that results in the existing system becoming more responsive to their needs. Which we will call the Tea Party Solution solution and perhaps the "Occupy Movement".
- The people take over and radically change the system. The New World Movement. (Egypt,Turkey,Tunisa)
For many of the less fortunate the short term future pretty well defined:
- The number of unemployed and underemployed will continue to increase
- The number of discouraged workers will continue to increase
- Middle Class workers wages will continue a downward trend ( NYTimes: Congressional Budget Office)
- Foreclosures of homes will increase
- More people will enter the welfare roles
- Suburban poverty (NYTimes-Cleveland) will become a more import public policy issue now that it is in my neighborhood
- Older workers will have a increasingly difficult time finding jobs due to a combination of lack of supply of jobs, skills mismatch and age bias
- Congress and the Presidential dis-function are unlikely lead us out of the the job creation doldrums
- The 1% will start to feel some minor economic and perhaps political discomfort in their lifestyle