Did You Know That 25 Million Friends, Neighbors, Children, Husbands, and Wives Need Real Jobs. (FYI:That is only in USA)
Do You Feel Obsolete? 5 Job Market Realities For Over 40 Workers.
With Presidential Politics ready to catapult the Nation head on into the hotly contested debate on how to best lead us out of a jobless future, it is time to quickly review the current market conditions for an Over 40 job seeker.
There are 5 principle job market realities for an Over 40 Unemployed Skilled Worker :
- Many older workers are now part of a large group of long-term unemployed (average 55+ weeks), under employed or those that just have given up looking for a job (AKA Discouraged Workers). That adds up to an astounding population of almost 25 Million job seekers.
- There is a serious mismatch of current skills to current job openings.
- Many of the jobs available require Over 40 workers to start at salaries of 25-50% of what was previously earned with few benefits, such as Health Care.
- Many available positions that are created are temporary or as a independent contractor. Resulting in a temporary respite from the anxiety of job hunting.
- 4.5 unemployed people are competing for each newly created job.
The rumor is that the President with include a retraining Internship program for Older Skilled Workers that have suffered with being unemployed for a long period of time. We hope this is true. Do you know that "Over 60% of internships lead to Jobs". You are never too old to start a new career. Do you think companies should offer more training programs targeted to skilled older workers? If so, would you participate if it was without pay? (Editor's Note)