- If you are conducting your search from home, make sure you have a “professional” set-up, with a phone, fax machine (if available), and computer.
- Find a quiet place where you won’t be interrupted or distracted by doing household chores or watching TV.
- Don’t stay glued to your computer screen. Attend networking events and career fairs. Contact your Alma Mater’s career center (many have alumni services).
- Visit the gym, take a walk, or go for a run. Being out of work is one of the best times to get in shape. You’ll feel better about yourself and make a good impression during those important first moments with interviewers.
- Have a “conservative” e-mail address. For example firstname.lastname@example.org, not email@example.com.
- Get a cell phone so you can respond to employers quickly.
- Network to find the hidden job market. Try to get interviews with hiring managers rather than concentrating only on Human Resources.
- Be positive. Get help; build your support system; consider a career coach. Join the AARP Online Community for job seekers at the Water Cooler.
- If you feel that an employer is discriminating against you in the hiring process, move on to the next employer. Although you may be angry, you can do yourself more harm than good if you take time out of your job search to fight an employer.
The Last Word
You may be tempted to think that all you need to do to get a job is to highlight your years of experience. Not so! Make sure you translate those years of experience into skills and accomplishments that are required for the job you are seeking. Target your search, manage your time, and always continue networking.
Was this article useful? If so, subscribe to our newsletter to read more!
Easily Create Impact Full Cover Letters.
ONLINE WORKSHOPS SCHEDULE
*September 23, 24, 25: "Fastest Way to Get a Job” Register Here
*September 23, 24, 25: “The 30/60/90 Day Action Plan” Register Here
*September 27: LIVE EVENT “5 Simple Tips to Beat Age Discrimination”Register Here
*September 28: LIVE EVENT “Perfect Interview Answers”Register Here
*October 4: LIVE EVENT "Stop Applying and Get Hired Instantly"Register Here
*October 5: LIVE EVENT "How to Get a Job in 6 Weeks – Guaranteed”Register Here
Thursday, November 14, 2013
Posted by Arash Ahmadi at 6:00 AM